Monday, March 31, 2008

I've nearly finished my mitten quota for the spring (last pair is on the needles), so I've been experimenting with some new things before baby sweater season starts. First, I decided to try the log cabin method of blanket construction as outlined in Mason-Dixon Knitting. I have fallen in love with this way of making baby blankets. There's very little finishing to do other than weave in all the ends. And it's a great stashbuster; I moved 6 skeins out of my monstrous acrylic stash with this one.
I've already started the second one in pastel colors and have a pile of yarn set aside for #3. I'm not making them very big, about 36 inches square, but that seems to be a good size for a mobile life style; it's just about the right size for a car seat cover or a nap blanket.

Then I needed something challenging and extravagant to offset all that charity knitting, and the new Mystic Lights KAL seemed to be just the thing. I've finished the first clue and the second one won't be posted until Wednesday. The yarn is Glitter Alpaca from Cherry Tree Hill and the color is called Champlain Sunset, like the Vermont lake. I've been there, so this evokes a pleasant image for me. I love the feel of the alpaca, even though my eyes seem to attract all the fine threads it throws off.
And then, there's the Eyelets and Bobbles hat. It's Mary Jane's fault that Gracie had to model it; she sent me a picture of her Eddie wearing one of the chemo caps I made for her mom, and it seemed only fair to subject another dog to the same kind of indignity. But then of course, having done it once, there was no reason not to do it again, so I found a cap in colors that I thought were more suited to Gracie.
At some point it needs to be asked - why would any color be suitable for a dog? Some questions are best left unanswered.

No comments: