Some things haven't changed. Robby's quilt is still in its bag and still in the chair. Theresa's quilt is still draped over the back of the chair. And there's still a pile of books and magazines on the floor because there's no room for them on the shelves. That is going to change this month. I have a plan.
Someday I want to make another of these. I want to learn from my mistakes and do it better. I think this would make a stunning 2-color quilt - maybe red and white. While it's not a particularly difficult quilt to make, it's not a fast quilt. You start with big pieces and sew and recut and resew and square up. If you do it right, everything should fit together perfectly.
The second project was designed to use up some of the leftover strippy fabric from the kaleidoscope quilt.
As always, the surfaces are piled high with things that haven't found a home yet, or that are sitting out for some purpose. On the left side of the ironing table is a stack of fabrics that are destined to become baby quilts for the newest members of the family. I'm not sure when I'm going to actually start those; I know it won't be until after at least one of them has been born. On the right side is a piece of knitting that needs buttons sewn on. It came down here to get blocked and has yet to find its way back to the house. Perhaps having eyes will help with that.
The card table seems to have become a permanent part of the floor plan of the studio, although that was certainly not my intent when I set it up. It has become the dumping ground for everything that's in the way somewhere else. And now something new has been added to the wire cubes on the side closest to the cutting table:
a large muslin "pillowcase" for holding fabric and batting scraps. The idea is to fill it moderately full, then sew the end closed and make a washable cover for it and call it a dog bed. I guess if I can crochet kitty cozies out of leftover yarn, I can use scraps to make a dog bed.
The sewing table is pretty much filled up with my current project, which is putting together a bunch of quilt-as-you-go squares I made back in the spring. I'm working from the back side so I don't end up with all the lime green backing squares in one corner. I have made one significant change in this one compared to others like this that I have done, and that is I have widened the sashing. I didn't like the look of the narrow sashing, and it was difficult to sew together, so I did the math to figure out how wide to cut the strips to end up with a 1" sashing and that's what I'm using. The seam is a 1/2" seam which works perfectly with my walking foot, and the whole thing is going together quite easily. Right now most of it is on the sewing table; the rest is on the design wall.
If I don't screw things up and if my foot and leg cooperate, I may have this one finished by the end of the weekend. Since that will be my first complete finish since March, I'm pretty excited about it.
There is one surface in the studio that's looking pretty good, and that's the cutting table. Sitting proudly in the middle of it is the next quilt I plan to baste and get ready for the machine. I have one already basted that I will start stitching on next, but in the meantime I can be getting this one ready to go. I made the top when I was in seminary - I think in summer of 1995 - so it's time for it to come out of the drawer and see the world.
I leave for my summer trip to Canada in less than three weeks. I plan to spend that time getting tops quilted and more or less get my mojo back. Then when I get home in September I'll be ready physically and mentally to tackle Robby's quilt.