Thursday, August 26, 2010

The plan is now final. Even with the fabrics I bought last week, I wasn't sure that I had what I really wanted, so I went rooting through a box of fabrics I had pulled for a set of crazy blocks. Lo and behold, I found exactly what I was looking for, and since I only need one ring of each of these lights, a fat quarter is enough. One of the pieces had been cut into, so I did some tracing of templates to be sure I had enough of that fabric, and I do, so we're good to go.

So here's the plan. The fabrics on the left are the lights, and they will go in the center of the quilt. The ones in the middle are the mediums, and they will encircle the lights. Then on the right are the darks, and they will form the outer ring. The one thing I realized as I was drawing the working diagram is that I need another set for the arcs that will intersect the outer edge of those dark rings. But I have a good quantity of blacks that can be pressed into service; I'm not going to worry about those right now.

The basic plan is the same as before, but it has a lot more tones of teal in it. It will still shade from light to dark from the center out. I'm not bothering to redo my colored pencil sketch, because it shows what I really need it to. The most important diagram right now is this one:

It has every block labeled by row and column and every arc labeled by fabric. When I start to sew I need to know that I am working on block C3 and the arc at the top has fabric L1 and M2 in it. This is the chart that keeps the fabric labels straight:

And to be extra sure I don't get them mixed up I have each fabric labeled as well.

Tomorrow I should be able to start cutting fabric. I'll do the first block with fabric I have plenty of in case I need to adjust the templates. Before the weekend is over I should at least have something sewn together.

No comments: