Friday, July 27, 2012

Opening Ceremonies

The Opening Ceremonies are now in the books, and my first day of work on Aeolian is done. At 3:30 this afternoon it looked like this:

Somehow it always seems slightly ridiculous to cast on 3 stitches. but it grew fairly quickly to 13, and from there I've been adding 4 stitches every other row, so it's growing rapidly. At the end of the ceremonies it looks like this:

I'm nearly done with the 5th of 12 repeats of this first pattern, and starting to get into the rhythm so that I don't have to keep looking at the pattern. I'm getting the hang of the beads, although I've dropped a few. I suspect Trini will have fun rounding up all the escapees at the end of next week. My only complaint so far is having to use a needle with a 40" cable that won't straighten properly. I'm going to hang it with a weight on it overnight and see if that helps. I tried using a regular straight needle for a while, but then I couldn't see how the pattern was developing properly as the triangular shape evolved. With any luck the new ones I've ordered will arrive tomorrow and I will be happier.

As for the opening ceremonies themselves, I loved the bit with the entrance of the Queen, but I think the lighting of the torch was one of the best I've ever seen. I love that bits of it were carried in with the nations and that it was lighted by athletes who are not yet Olympians. I also liked the honor guard of construction workers for the entrance of the torch into the stadium. In a country where the monarchy is revered and where class distinctions are still important, it was nice to see ordinary people celebrated.

Now it is way past by bedtime and I need to put my fingers to rest for the night. Full day of games tomorrow means many hours of knitting, I hope.

No comments: