Friday, September 01, 2006

I've recently discovered 2 blogs that seem worth reflecting on here. The first is http://intent.squarespace.com/journal/2006/8/20/30-days-of-nothing.html I got to this one through the other one that I'll mention in a minute.
People who are willing to do meaningful self-sacrifice always get my attention. Especially people who have to get a whole family on board with an idea. But having just recently paid off a mountain of credit card debt with money my Dad saved over his lifetime makes me realize that I have lived a terribly self-indulgent life since my divorce. And it's hard now to break that bad habit of buying every pretty thing that captures my attention.
But then I think of the people in New Orleans and the Gulf Coast who lost not only their pretty things but everything they owned last year and who are living still with next to nothing. I don't want to even think about starving babies in Africa - I want to think about children here in my town who will not have a coat to wear to school when it turns cold. I saw a picture of Osceola McCarty this week - the woman who saved $150,000 from the money she made doing people's laundry and gave it away. People like that make me think.
So I'm going to join in the 30 days of nothing. I had planned several relatively major purchases this weekend; now I will have to decide whether waiting until October to buy these things is possible and desirable. And in the meantime, have a look for yourself.

The other blog I wanted to mention is http://revgalblogpals.blogspot.com/ This one gives me all kinds of things to think about. I've only begun to explore some of the linked blogs with this one. Things to do on the days when I'm not out spending money.

I got into the mood to look at my cross-stitch collection yesterday. I found a number of finished projects that just need to be mounted and framed, or made into pillows. I found a lot of small Christmasy things that need to be made into something. And a lovely angel - half finished - that begs me to put aside some daylight time to stitch. My eyes won't let me work on that fine detail and subtle coloring except with the very best light, but I don't want to let it stay unfinished until I'm too blind to sew at all either.

Also getting back to hand-quilting, the way I got into it, doing a small chunk at a time, the way I learned from Georgia Bonesteel 20 years ago. It feels good to be coming back around to the beginning again. And until my machine quilting improves a lot, hand quilting is still my most reliable way to finish a piece and have it smooth and pretty. I guess learning patience and perseverance is on my agenda as well.

No comments: